Here is a treat you might want to spoil your loved ones with on Christmas. The recipe – originally inspired by my dear friend Chad Sarno – tolerates a lot of alteration, as long as you keep the amounts the same. You can substitute the cranberries with dried apples or dried pineapple pieces. Should you have run out of organic currants use sultanas. The raisin paste can happily turn into date paste. Oh! Before I forget it, you can replace the apples completely or just in part with grated carrots.
Remember though, what holds this cake together is the proper balance between wet and dry ingredients, so stick to the ratios and make sure you let the cake rest for at least two hours before serving – overnight is even better.
The topping/icing of the cake can either be cashew cream – see below – or a bit more liquid coconut cream (less coconut oil) as used in our wedding cake (see there).
Enjoy the bake-free preparation and the happily fed family! Careful, this cake is very filling!
Raw Apple Cake
¨ 2 c apple, grated, fresh (approx. 4 small apples)
¨ 1 ½ c organic dried cranberries
¨ 2 c pecans or walnuts, soaked, dehydrated and ground into flour. .
¨ ¼ c currants
¨ 1 c raisins, soaked 2-4 hours and blended into a paste
¨ 1 T cinnamon
¨ ½ T orange zest, grated (optional)
¨ 2 T carob powder or mesquite flour
¨ pinch of nutmeg
¨ 1-2cm grated ginger (optional)
- Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and handmix gently, yet thoroughly, set aside.
- Using a 6-inch spring form pan, line the bottom with plastic wrap. If you happen to use a pie dish, line the whole dish with plastic wrap (see picture)
- Press ’cake’ into pan firmly.
- Turn over on a serving platter and remove spring form pan and plastic wrap. Cut into individual pieces now, if you prefer to serve as such.
- Frost or garnish with cashew cream.
- Chill before serving.
Note with extra cake, form into bars and dehydrate for 10-12 hours for a great snack on the trail.
Makes 2 cups
- 2 ½ c cashews, soaked over night
- enough filtered water to just cover the cashews in blender jar
- 1 T organic maple juice
- 1 t lime juice
- ½ t vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients in high speed blender into a smooth cream.
- Fill into garnishing bag and garnish cake or use as icing.